Most people have used the same deodorants for decades without realizing what they are putting under their arms could be toxic.
I’ve tried several “all natural” deodorants, and for the most part, I have not been satisfied. At times, I’ve gotten so frustrated, and close to giving up and going back to my old toxic brands. I realize many people don’t believe natural deodorants don’t tame underarm odor or even block perspiration as effectively as conventional options.
However, conventional antiperspirants and deodorants contain aluminum compounds- which studies have shown can be absorbed through your skin and are linked to neurotoxicity in high doses.
Here are a few deodorant ingredients you want to AVOID.
- All Aluminums- including aluminum chlorohydrate and aluminum zirconium – they plug sweat pores and studies suggest it could be linked to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Parabans- chemical preservatives that mimic estrogen and can trigger cancer-cell growth.
- Propylene glycol- a compound used as a moisturizer is a neurotoxin and can lead to organ damage.
As you’re shopping and trying to find a deodorant that works for you, keep in mind that not all deodorants work for everybody, and that each person has their own unique physiology and lifestyle habits, that greatly impact how well a deodorant will work. You need to take the time, which could mean trying a couple different brands, until you find one that works for you. Note that natural deodorants sometimes stop working for individuals after a while, so you’ll need to switch to another brand periodically.
A few suggestions for “Natural Deodorants”
- Crystal Essence – I especially love the Pomegranate roll-on. It has a great scent to it and contains naturally occurring anti-oxidants that help regenerate the skin. It also comes in a spray and in scents of Chamomile & Green Tea and Lavender & White Tea. I’m also a huge fan of the individual towelettes which are great for travel.
- Tom’s of Maine “New” Long Lasting 24-hour Deodorant – The main ingredient of hops inhibits the growth of odor causing bacteria. Comes in Beautiful Earth and Mountain Spring.
- Burt’s Bees Natural Skin Care for Men Deodorant – This potent natural stick deodorant has citrus oils in it and cypress aromas.
- Desert Essence Tea Tree Deodorant with Lavender – Comes in a stick and contains tea tree oil, which is known to absorb body odor, and has essences of anti-bacterial neem oil, lavender and chamomile.
- Underarm liners are also soon to be another option. The adhesive paper patches are attached to clothing to absorb odor and sweat. I’ve only read about them and haven’t seen them on the market yet.
Remember, trying and buying different types of all natural deodorants can and might have its challenges for you, but know that your body absorbs everything you put on it and you’re worth the time and investment. Happy shopping!!